Kolkhoz System and Re-Feudalization of Soviet Economy in 1930s — Early 1950s: Limits and Scope of Source Studies Analysis

Print PDF

УДК 94(47)+093

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1020-1037

Olga A. Sukhova

Penza State University, Penza, Russian Federation

Kolkhoz System and Re-Feudalization of Soviet Economy in 1930s — Early 1950s: Limits and Scope of Source Studies Analysis

Abstract

The article reveals specifics of formation and interpretation of еру document collections that bespeak of a return to the methods of non-economic coercion and optimization of surplus product during the collectivization in the USSR. The article is to offer a source study analysis of problems of studying kolkhoz system as an instrument of re-feudalization of Soviet economy in the period of forced industrialization. Development of application methodology for systematic study of the history of agrarian system in the USSR of 1930s-1950s is the most important achievement of the author. In her opinion, the creation of kolkhozes opened before Soviet state a short and radical way of transit to modernity (i.e. commodification, intensification of production, and transformation of the social structure) and secured resources for mobilization economy, which became a model for adapting Soviet system to global challenges. Adaptation mechanism was based on restoration of archaic administrative practices, which had been characteristic for the period of formation of Russian absolutism. Sources corpus is formed by documents collections: normative documents and record keeping documentation, mass sources and letters. They show two sides of the social experience: practice of decision-making and their implementation, on the one hand, and ‘depot’ of social reactions, perception of policies, dynamics and nature of peasant resistance to agrarian despotism, assimilation of new meanings, and innovations in the system of kolkhoz social images, on the other hand. After the research, the author concludes that drawing on the experience of traditionalization can only be partially effective for solving problems of modernity. Although the Russian state had successfully approbated similar tools in the past, in 1930s – early 1950s administrative pressure, disparity of repressive practices and social resistance they fought, and high social cost of the project outweighed all its institutional merits and turned the history of Soviet peasants a national tragedy and made agriculture a major factor in crisis and collapse of Soviet economic model.

Download the article: sukhova_doi

Keywords

Sources, kolkhoz system, USSR, 1930s — early 1950s, agrarian policy, re-feudalization, peasant resistance, source analysis.

References

BEZNIN, M. A., DIMONI, T. M. Protoburzhuaziya v sel'skom khozyaistve Rossii 1930—1980-h godov (novyi podkhod k sotsial'noi istorii rossiiskoi derevni) [Proto-bourgeoisie in Russian Agriculture in 1930s—1980s (A New Approach to the Social History of Russian Village). In Russ.]. Vologda, Legiya publ., 2008, 56 p.

FITZPATRIK, S. Stalin's Peasants: Resistance and Survival in the Russian Village after Collectivization. Oxford University Press, 1994. (Russ. ed.: FITZPATRIK, Sh. Stalinskie krest'yane. Sotsial'naya istoriya Sovetskoi Rossii v 30-e gg.: derevnya. Moscow, ROSSPEN; Fond pervogo Prezidenta Rossii B. N. El'tsina publ., 2008, 422 p.)

IL'INYKH, V. A. Agrarnyi stroi Sibiri v XX veke: etapy transformatsii [The Agrarian System of Siberia in the 20th Century: Steps of Transformation. In Russ.] IN: Ezhegodnik po agrarnoj istorii Vostochnoj Evropy. 2012 god : Tipologiya i osobennosti regional'nogo agrarnogo razvitiya Rossii i Vostochnoj Evropy X —XXI vv. [Yearbook on agrarian history of Western Europe. 2012: Types and features of regional agriculture development in Russia and Western Europe in 10th-21st centuries. In Russ.]. Moscow, Bryansk, RIO BGU publ., 2012, pp. 620-630.

IL'INYKH, V. A. Raskrest'yanivanie sibirskoi derevni v sovetskii period: osnovnye tendentsii i etapy [Dispossession of Siberian village in the Soviet period: Main trends and stages. In Russ.]. IN: Rossiiskaya istoriya, 2012, no. 1, pp. 130-141.

Kolhoznaya zhizn' na Urale. 1935—1953 [KESSLER, G., KORNILOV, G. E. (eds.). Kolkhoz life in the Urals. 1935—1953. In Russ.]. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2006, 912 p.

KORNILOV, G. E. Agrarnaya modernizatsiya Rossii v XX veke [Agrarian modernization of Russia in the 20th century. In Russ.]. IN: Ezhegodnik po agrarnoi istorii Vostochnoi Evropy. 2012 god : Tipologiya i osobennosti regional'nogo agrarnogo razvitiya Rossii i Vostochnoi Evropy X —XXI vv. [Yearbook on agrarian history of Western Europe. 2012: Types and features of regional agriculture development in Russia and Western Europe in 10th-21st centuries. In Russ.]. Moscow, Bryansk, RIO BGU publ., 2012, pp. 620—630.

LOZBENEV, I. N. “Mestnye sovety ne ponimayut, chto takoe ‘Litsom k derevne’ ...”. Dokumenty federal'nykh i regional'nykh arkhivov o politicheskih nastroeniyakh sel'skogo naseleniya v gody NEPa [‘Local Soviets do not understand what “Facing the village” means.’ Documents of federal and regional archives on political moods of rural population during the NEP. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2013, no. 2. pp. pp. 81—87.

NAD'KIN, T. D. Stalinskaya agrarnaya politika i krest'yanstvo Mordovii. [Stalin's agrarian policy and the peasantry of Mordovia. In Russ.]. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2010, 311 p.

Seminar 6. Obsuzhdenie monografii: LEVIN, M. Rossijskie krest'yane i Sovetskaya vlast'. Issledovanie kollektivizacii. N'yu-Jork; London, 1975 [Russian peasants and Soviet power. The study of collectivization. In Russ.] IN: Sovremennoe krest'yanovedenie i agrarnaya istoriya Rossii v XX veke. Moscow, Politicheskaya ehnciklopediya publ., 2015, pp. 266—316.

Sovetskaya derevnya glazami VCHK—OGPU—NKVD. 1918—1939. Dokumenty i materialy [BERELOVICH, A., DANILOV, V. (eds.). The Soviet village through the eyes of the Cheka-OGPU-NKVD. 1918-1939. Documents and materials. In Russ.] In 4 vols. Vol. 3: 1930-1934. Book 1: 1930-1931. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2003, 864 p.; Book 2: 1932-1934. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2005, 840 p.; Vol. 4: 1935-1938. Moscow.: ROSSPEN publ., 2012, 984 p.YANIK, A. A. Istoriya sovremennoi Rossii: Istoki i uroki poslednei rossiiskoi modernizatsii (1985—1999) [The history of modern Russia: The origins and lessons of the latest Russian modernization (1985—1999). In Russ.]. Moscow, Fond sovremennoi istorii; Izdatel'stvo Moskovskogo universiteta publ., 2012, 760 p.

About author

Sukhova Olga Aleksandrovna, PhD in History, Professor, penza State University, Dean of the Faculty of History and Languages, Penza, Russian Federation, +7927-2-89-20-41, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Grant information

The article has been prepared with the financial support of the RFBR (project no. 18-09-00125/18) ‘Economics and practices of social interaction in the Soviet village in the context of the mobilization economy of the USSR in 1930s — early 1950s.’

Submitted 14.05.2018, published:

SUKHOVA, O. A. Kolkhoznaya sistema i refeodalizatsiya sovetskoi ekonomiki v 1930-e — nachale 1950-kh gg.: predely i vozmozhnosti istochnikovedcheskogo analiza [Kolkhoz System and Re-Feudalization of Soviet Economy in 1930s — Early 1950s: Limits and Scope of Source Studies Analysis. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 4, pp. 1020-1037. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1020-1037

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.