A. L. Shanyavskii University in the Epicenter of the Revolutionary Movement of Late 19th – Early 20th Century

Print PDF

УДК 930(47)+94(470)+930.85

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1092-1102

Roman A. Fando

S. I. Vavilov Institute for the History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation

A. L. Shanyavskii University in the Epicenter of the Revolutionary Movement of Late 19th – Early 20th Century

Abstract

The article is devoted to the history of revolutionary unrest among students at the turn of the 20th century. Activities of informal student associations that conducted a broad agitation campaign within the walls of the A. L. Shanyavskii University in the early 20th century serve as an example. Unlike many other higher educational institutions, the Moscow City People's University became a hotbed of revolutionary outbreaks, fueled both by teachers and students of the university. University professors N. N. Polyansky, M. D. Zagryatskov, V. V. Krasnokutsky, A. V. Gorbunov, P. P. Gensen, P. N. Sakulin, A. A. Kizevetter called for democratic reforms in their lectures and criticized the foundations of the monarchy. Among other politicized communities of the University, the Latvian Social-Democratic group, which included M. I. Latsis and I. V. Tsivtsivadze, was especially prominent. Many students united around Social Democrat Ts. Zelikson-Bobrovskaya and Bolshevik A. A. Znamensky. The students of Shanyavskii University equipped a printing house and printed leaflets of revolutionary content. On the account of frequent cases of political agitation in the student environment, university lectures were attended by the police. Nevertheless, despite the police surveillance, the atmosphere at the university was quite liberal, and the revolutionary-minded associations continued to thrive there. The revolutionary events that were prepared with such energy (among others) by students of the A. L. Shanyavskii University and liberal-minded part of their professors, eventually led to greater collapse of the ideals of accessible higher education that A.L. Shanyavskii preached. The Bolsheviks, having received the reins of government in 1917, could not establish a working system of administration or even approximate the however well established pre-revolutionary order, and thereupon in 1920 the University of A.L. Shanyavskii ceased to exist. Several documents found in the State Archive of the Russian Federation allow to recreate the historical picture of the revolutionary movement within the walls of the Moscow City People's University.

Download the article: fando_doi

Keywords

Sources, students, A. L. Shanyavskii Moscow City People’s University, revolutionary situation, underground student organizations.

References

IVANOV, A. E. Studencheskaya korporatsiya Rossii kontsa XIX – nachala XX veka: opyt kul'turnoi i politicheskoi samoorganizatsii [Student Corporation of Russia of the late XIX ? early XX century: Experience of cultural and political self-organization. In Russ.]. Moscow, Novyi khronograf publ., 2004. 407 p.

IVANOV, A. E. Mir rossiiskogo studenchestva. Konets XIX – nachalo XX veka [The world of Russian students. Late 19th – early 20th century. In Russ.]. Moscow, Novyi khronograf publ., 2010, 331 p.

MENITSKII, I. V. Revolyutsionnoe dvizhenie voennykh godov (1914–1917). [Revolutionary movement of the wartime (1914-1917). In Russ.]. Vol. 2. Moscow, Izd. Komakademii publ., 1924, 320 p.

SIZOVA, A. YU. Rossiiskaya vysshaya shkola v revolyutsionnykh sobytiyakh 1917 g. Diss. … kand. ist. nauk [Russian Higher School in the revolutionary events of 1917. Cand. hist. sci. diss. In Russ.]. Moscow, RGGU, 2007, 276 p.

FANDO, R. A. Metsenatstvo i prosvetitel'stvo v dorevolyutsionnoi Rossii: Al'fons Shanyavskii i ego “vol'naya shkola” [Patronage and enlightenment in pre-revolutionary Russia: Alfons Shanyavsky and his ‘Free School.’ In Russ.]. IN: Bylye gody, 2016, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 210–221.

KASSOW, S. Students, Professors, and the State in Tsarist Russia. Berkeley, Univ. of California Press, 1989, 438 р.

MORRISSEY, S. K. Heralds of Revolution: Russian Students and the Mythologies of Radicalism. New York, Oxford University Press, 1998, 288 p.

About author

Fando Roman Alekseevich, PhD in Biology, S.I. Vavilov Institute for the History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, leading researcher, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7-495-988-22-80, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 4.05.2018, published:

FANDO, R. A. Universitet imeni A. L. Shanyavskogo v epitsentre revolyutsionnogo dvizheniya kontsa XIX – nachala XX v. [A. L. Shanyavskii University in the Epicenter of the Revolutionary Movement of Late 19th – Early 20th Century. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 4, pp. 1092-1102. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1092-1102

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.