Archival Heritage as an Instrument of Historical and Educational Activities in Modern Uzbekistan: The Main Trends of 2010-2018

Print PDF

УДК 930.25+94(575.1)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1188-1205

Efim I. Pivovar

Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow, Russian Federation

Alexander V. Gushchin

Alexander S. Levchenkov

Archival Heritage as an Instrument of Historical and Educational Activities in Modern Uzbekistan: The Main Trends of 2010-2018

Abstract

The article studies the main ways of using archives as an instrument of popularization of historical and cultural heritage in modern Uzbekistan and assesses the prospects of the Russo-Uzbek archival communications. The history of archives formation and development in Uzbekistan counts many centuries, traditions of archival science in this country are among most ancient in Central Asia. Today the leading archives of Uzbekistan are working on introduction of latest information and communication technologies, sometimes in collaboration with foreign partners. Thus, the archival institutions of Uzbekistan are transforming from places of storages of documents into full-fledged scientific and educational centers that actively participate in promoting national historical and cultural heritage. The most important task that is currently being solved at the highest state level is to increase the level of coordination and systematization of archival materials usage in order to promote national historical and cultural heritage and to shape a modern concept of the genesis and development of the Uzbek state. Uzbekistan archival institutions and fonds are more and more used by its leaders to deal with important social and political challenges facing Uzbekistan (primarily related to achievement of social consensus, development of Uzbek statehood, cultural, and religious spheres). Naturally, the work in this direction is largely aimed at imbuing the population with stable ideas on features of historical development of Uzbekistan and views on international relations, intercultural dialogue, and interreligious interaction. An important task of Russia in this context is to widen cooperation with Uzbekistan in the archival sphere. Publications on the current state of Uzbek archives ignore the use of archival heritage for educational purposes and to solve most urgent social and political task of national development. Moreover, Russian historians and archivists do not receive the necessary information on significant trends in the archival development of Uzbekistan in 2010s; and yet it was a time when informatization proceeded and state interest in popularization of archival heritage grew. Similar methods of training archivists in the two countries should play an important role in the development of Russo-Uzbek cooperation in archiving.

Download the article: pivovar_gushchin_levchenkov_doi

Keywords

Archives, information and communication technologies, historical and archival heritage, Rosarchiv, Uzarchiv, Uzbekistan.

References

ALIMOV, I. A. Arkhivovedenie [Archive science. In Russ.]. Andizhan, 2005, 73 p.

Analiticheskii obzor o razvitii arkhivnogo dela v respublike Uzbekistan v 1990-2010 godakh [Analytical review ‘State and development of archiving in the Republic of Uzbekistan in 1999-2010.’ In Russ.]. Federal Archival Agency: Internet portal [on-line]. Available at: http://www.vestarchive.ru/kritika-i-bibliografiia/1953-v-tashkente-izdana-monografiia-ms-isakovoi-lstanovlenie-i-razvitie-arhivnogo-dela-v-yzbekistaner.pdf (accessed 30.07.2018).

V Tashkente izdana monografiya M.S. Isakovoi “Stanovlenie I razvitie arkhivnogo dela v Uzbekistane” [M.S. Isakova’s monograph ‘Formation and development of archiving in Uzbekistan’ has been published in Tashkent. In Russ.]. Vestnik Arhivista / Herald of an Archivist [on-line]. Available at: http://www.vestarchive.ru/kritika-i-bibliografiia/1953-v-tashkente-izdana-monografiia-ms-isakovoi-lstanovlenie-i-razvitie-arhivnogo-dela-v-yzbekistaner.pdf (accessed 31.07.2018).

EREMENKO, V. A. Osnovnye problemy raboty gosudarstvennykh arkhivov SNG s audiovisualnoi dokumentatsiei. [Main problems of work with audiovisual documentation in the CIS state archives. In Russ.]. IN: Otechestvennye arkhivy, 2001, no. 6, pp. 3-10.

IOFE, V. G. Arkhivovedcheskie issledovaniya v Uzbekistane v postsovetskii period [Archival researches in Uzbekistan in the post-Soviet period]. IN: Otechestvennye arkhivy, 2007, no.6, pp. 79-84.

. ISAKOVA, M. S. Stanovlenie i razvitie arkhivnogo dela v Uzbekistane [Formation and development of archiving in Uzbekistan. In Russ.]. Tashkent, Universitet publ., 201 p.

ISAKOVA, M. S. Stanovlenie I razvitie arkhivnogo dela v Uzbekistane v kontse XIX – nachale XXI vv.. Dis… dokt. ist. nauk. 07.00.01 – Istoriya Uzbekistana [Formation and development of archiving in Uzbekistan in late 19th-early 20th century. Dr hist. sci. diss. 07.00.01 – History of Uzbekistan. In Russ.]. Tashkent, 279 p.

LARIN, M. V. Sravnitelnyi obzor arkhivnogo zakonodatelstva stran SNG [Comparative review of archival legislation of the CIS]. IN: Pravovye problemy arkhivnogo dela v evroaziatskom regione. Materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, g. Astana, 27 sentyabrya 2002 g. [Legal problems of archiving in the Euroasian region. Proceedings of the international research-to-practice conference, Astana, September 27, 2002]. Almaty, 2004, pp. 7-21.

About the authors

Pivovar Efim Iosifovich, PhD in History, professor, corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAN), Russian State University for Humanities, President, director of the Institute for post-soviet and interregional studies, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7 (495) 250-69-10 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Guschin Alexander Vladimirovich, PhD in History, associate professor, department of post-Soviet countries, Russian State University for, assistant professor, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7-926-010-94-94, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Levchenkov Alexander Stanislavovich, PhD in History, associate professor, department of post-Soviet countries, Russian State University for, assistant professor, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7-926-153-30-11, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Grant information

The article has been prepared within the framework of execution of the state order on the project ‘Russia and Eurasia: Foreign policy, economic and humanitarian cooperation in early 21st century’ (publication no.: 33.9610.2017/8.9)

Submitted 3.08.2018, published:

PIVOVAR, E. I., GUSHCHIN, A. V., LEVCHENKOV, A. S. Arkhivnoe nasledie kak instrumentarii istoriko-prosvetitel'skoi deyatel'nosti v sovremennom Uzbekistane: osnovnye tendentsii 2010-2018 gg. [. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 4, pp. 1188-1205. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1188-1205

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.