Personal Provenance Fonds of Russian Emigrants in the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia

Print PDF

УДК 929.52+94(47+325.2

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1217-1230

S. I. Mikhalchenko, E. V. Tkachenko

Academician I. G. Petrovsky Bryansk State University, Bryansk, Russian Federation

Personal Provenance Fonds of Russian Emigrants in the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia

Abstract

The article reviews personal provenance fonds of the Russian emigration representatives in the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana. Ljubljana, unlike Belgrade, accumulated a relatively small number of the first wave Russian emigrants during the interwar period, but some of them were outstanding scientists and well-known public figures. The article focuses on fond SI AS 1901 of E.V. Spektorsky (1875-1951), well-known lawyer, philosopher, historian, who was a professor at the University of Ljubljana in 1930-1945. The fond consists of four boxes; its most valuable part is letters to Spectorsky from numerous representatives of the Academe of the Russian abroad: P.M. Bitsilli, G. V. Vernadsky, N.O. Lossky, S.I. Metalnikov, P.A. Sorokin, P.B. Struve, F.V. Taranovsky, G.V. Florovsky, M.V. Shakhmatov, and others. In total, the fond contains over 1,000 letters dating from 1920s to early 1940s. The article focuses on the correspondence with Taranovsky and Shakhmatov. It cites circumstances of attempted publication of an ?migr? articles collection ‘Difficult issues’ (1931) and that of a jubilee book for the 100th anniversary of St. Vladimir Kiev University (1934). It describes organization of Shakhmatov's doctoral thesis defense in Belgrade (1938). It assesses high information value of letters to Spectorsky written by his relatives. The article gives an overview of the fonds of Al. D. Bilimovich (SI AS 1320), engineer-surveyor D. V. Frost (SI AS 1419), engineer and professional military officer D. V. Shulgin (SI AS 1021), son of the famous politician V.V. Shulgin. The Shulgin’s fond includes the last (13th) part of Spectorsky’s ‘Letopis’ (diary) dated May 1944 - May 1945. It is a valuable source on the history of Yugoslavia and that of the Russian emigration. There are other emigrant fonds: of E. G. Shulgina, first wife of V. Shulgin, (SI AS 1022) and of A. I. Shulgina (Guadanini), first wife of D. Shulgin, (SI AS 877). These fonds are small; each contains one folder of personal documents. Documents of personal provenance fonds of the Russian emigrants in the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia are undoubtedly of great value to researchers.

Download the article: mikhalchenko_tkachenko_doi

Keywords

Foreign archival Rossica, Archives of the Republic of Slovenia, Russian emigration, personal provenace fonds, E. V. Spectorsky, F. V. Taranovsky, M. V. Shakhmatov.

References.

JOVANOVI?, M. Ruska emigracija na Balkanu: 1920-1940 [Russian emigration on the Balkans. 1920-1940. In Serbian]. Beograd, ?igoja ?tampa, 2006, 559 p. (Russ. ed.: IOVANOVICH, M. Russkaya emigratsiya na Balkanakh. 1920-1940. Moscow, Biblioteka-fond “Russkoe Zarubezh'e”; Russkiy put’ publ, 2005, 488 p.).

KOSIK, V. I. Russkaya kul'tura v Khorvatii, 1920-1930-ye gody [Russian culture in Croatia, 1920-1930s. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta kul'tury i iskusstv [Bulletin of the St. Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts], 2015, no. 1 (22), pp. 9-16.

MIKHALCHENKO, S.I. Russkii Yuridicheskii fakultet v Prage v pismakh A.A.Vilkova [Russian Law Faculty in Prague in letters of A.A. Vilkov. In Russ.] IN: Problemy slavyanovedeniya [Issues of Slavic Studies]. Issue 19. Bryansk, RIO BSU publ., 2017, pp. 205-227.

MIKHALCHENKO, S. I., TKACHENKO, E. V. Evgenii Vasil’evich Spektorskii [Evgeny Vasilyevich Spektorsky. In Russ.] IN: Voprosy istorii, 2013, no. 1, pp. 31–53.

MIKHALCHENKO, S. I. Fedor Vasil’evich Taranovskii [Fyodor Vasilyevich Taranovsky. In Russ.]. IN: Voprosy istorii, 2017, no. 9, pp. 16-33.

PUTYATIN, V. S. Rossiyskie professora filosofskogo fakul'teta v Skop'e v mezhvoennye gody [Russian professors of the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje in the interwar years. In Russ.] IN: Istoriki-slavisty MGU. Kn. 9. V.A. Tesemnikov. Issledovaniya i materialy, posvyashchennyye 75-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya V.A.Tesemnikova [Historians-Slavists of the Moscow State University. Book 9. V.A. Tesemnikov. Studies and materials devoted to the 75th anniversary of V.A. Tesemnikov]. Moscow, Izdatel’stvo MGU publ., 2013, pp. 133-153.

SABENNIKOVA, I. V., GENTSHKE, V. L. Zarubezhnaya arkhivnaya rossika. Geografiya razmeshcheniya, vyyavleniye, publikatsiya istochnikov [Foreign archival Rossica. Geography of location, identification, publication of sources. In Russ.] Moscow, Novyy khronograf publ., 2014, pp. 200-202.

SABENNIKOVA, I. V. Russkaya emigratsiya v Khorvatii: obzor arkhivov [Russian emigration in Croatia: A review of archives. In Russ.] IN: Berega: informatsionno-analiticheskiy sbornik o russkom zarubezh'ye [Shores: Information and analytical collection on the Russian abroad]. Issue 8. St. Petersburg, 2007, pp. 6-9.

?URI?, B. Russkaya emigratsiya v Serbii [Russian emigration in Serbia. In Russ.] IN: Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University], issue 26, pp. 141-168.

PULKO, R. Ruski emigranti na Slovenskem. 1921-1941 [Russian emigrants in Slovenia. 1921-1941. In Slovenian]. Logatec, Vojni muzej publ., 2004, 144 p.

BRGLEZ, A., SELJAK, M. Rusja na Slovenskem. Ruski profesorji na Univerzi v Ljubljani v letih 1920–1945 [Russia in Slovenia. Russian professors at the University of Ljubljana in 1920-1945. In Slovenian]. Ljubljana, In?titut za civilizacijo in kulturo publ., 2008, 261 p.

About authors

Mikhalchenko Sergey Ivanovich, PhD in History, professor, Academician I. G. Petrovsky Bryansk State University, Institute for Fundamental and Applied Research, director, Bryansk, Russian Federation, +7-483 258-93-39, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tkachenko Elena Victorovna, PhD in History, Academician I. G. Petrovsky Bryansk State University, assistant professor, Bryansk, Russian Federation, +7-483 258-93-39, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Grant information

This article has been prepared with financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (science project no. 18-09-00437).

Submitted 27.04.2018, published:

MIKHALCHENKO, S. I., TKACHENKO, E. V. Lichnye fondy russkikh emigrantov v Arkhive Respubliki Slovenii [Personal Provenance Fonds of Russian Emigrants in the Archives of the Republic of Slovenia. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2018, no. 4, pp. 1217-1230. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2018-4-1217-1230

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.