Circumstances of the Appointment of M.V. Alekseyev Commander-in-Chief of Armies of the Northwestern Front

Print PDF

УДК 93/94

Kirill I. Lyashenko, Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow, Russian Federation

Circumstances of the Appointment of M.V. Alekseyev Commander-in-Chief of Armies of the Northwestern Front

Abstract

Drawing on archival and personal documents from personal provenance fonds of the Russian State Military History Archive (RGVIA) and from the Research Division of Manuscripts of the Russian State Library, the article considers the circumstances of Mikhail Vasiliyevich Alekseyev’s appointment Commander-in-chief of the Northwestern front and the reaction of some Stavka officials to this appointment. After the failure of the August operation Commander-in-chief of the Northwestern front Adjutant General Ruzsky petitioned for resignation because of ill health. On the same day Chief of Staff of the Southwestern front, General-of-Infantry M.V. Alekseyev was appointed to the post. After the Battle of Galicia many military officials voiced an opinion that Alekseyev should be placed not in the General Headquarters, but in charge of a front. His appointment Commander-in-chief of the Northwestern front armies was a direct consequence of a change in the Stavka strategy. The Southwestern front was to be the main attack force, and Alekseyev was to maintain its right wing and establish the defenses. However, there being two operational directions, the Stavka remained undecided on the direction of the main effort and the support role of the Northwestern front was not yet settled. The situation in the lines was difficult: the armies suffered a series of defeats, ill prepared operations and inept command of the Northwestern front exhausted all its reserves, while the German troops could reopen an offensive at any moment. M.V. Alekseyev’s letters home show that even before his appointment he spoke ill of the Northwestern front command action and foresaw the complexity of the duty to stabilize the situation, duty that was imposed on him. And yet his appointment provoked a mixed reaction from the Stavka officials and the military.

Download the article: lyashenko_doi

Keywords

Archive, source, letters, First World War of 1914-1918, M.V. Alekseyev, RGVIA, documents NIOR RGB.

References

BONDARENKO, V. V. Geroi Pervoi mirovoi [Heroes of World War I. In Russ.]. Moscow, Molodaya gvardiya publ., 2013, 511 p.

BORISOV, V. E. General M. V. Alekseev, nachal'nik shtaba Verkhovnogo Glavnokomanduyushchego v voinu 1914- 1915 gg. [General M.V. Alekseyev, Chief of Staff of the General Headquarters in the war of 1914-1915. In Russ.]. IN: Voennyi sbornik (Belgrad), 1922, pp. 3-21.

DANILOV, YU. N. Rossiya v mirovoi voine 1914-1915 gg. [Russia in the World War: 1914-1915. In Russ.]. Berlin, 1924, 442 p.

DENIKIN, A. I. Put' russkogo ofitsera [Path of Russian officer. In Russ.]. Мoscow, Sovremennik publ., 1991, 300 p.

ZAIONCHKOVSKII, A. M. Mirovaya voina 1914-1918 gg.: obshchii strategicheskii ocherk [The World War of 1914-1918: A general strategy essay. In Russ.]. Moscow, Voen. akad. RKKA publ., 1924, 457 p.

ZALESSKII, K. A. Kto byl kto v Pervoi mirovoi voine [Who was who in World War I. In Russ.]. Moscow, AST; Astrel' publ,, 2003, 894 p.

LEMKE, M. K. 250 dnei v tsarskoi stavke 1914-1915 [250 days in the Tsar Stavka: 1914-1915. In Russ.]. Minsk, Kharvest publ., 2003, 448 p.

NEZNAMOV, A. A. Strategicheskii ocherk voiny 1914-1918. T. 3 [Essay on the strategy of the war of 1914-1918. Vol. 3. In Russ.]. Moscow, 1922, 88 p.

SHAVEL'SKII, G. I. Vospominaniya poslednego protopresvitera Russkoi armii i flota [Memoirs of the last protopresbyter of the Russian Army and Navy. In Russ.]. New-York, Izdatel'stvo im. Chekhova publ., 1954, 412 p.

SHVARTS, A. V., fon. Ivangorod v 1914-1915. Iz vospominanii general-leitenanta A. V. fon Shvartsa – komendanta kreposti [Ivangorod in 1914-1915: From the memoirs of Lieutenant General A.V. fon Shvarz. In Russ.]. Paris, Voenno-istoricheskoe izdatel'stvo “Tanais” publ., 1969, 166 p.

About author

Lyashenko Kirill Igorevich, Russian State University of the Humanities, Master's Degree Student, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7-965-211-21-27, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 17.01.2017, published:

LYASHENKO, K. I. Obstoyatel'stva naznacheniya M. V. Alekseeva glavnokomanduyushchim armiyami Severo-Zapadnogo fronta [Circumstances of the appointment of M.V. Alekseyev Commander-in-chief of armies of the Northwestern front. In Russ.]. Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an archivist, 2017, no. 2, pp. 197-210.

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.