The Jewish Houses of Worship in Tobolsk in the 19th Century: A Source Study

Print PDF

УДК 94(47)+94(571.12)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-3-909-922

Victoria A. Gerasimova

F. M. Dostoevsky Omsk State University, Omsk, Russian Federation

The Jewish Houses of Worship in Tobolsk in the 19th Century: A Source Study

Abstract

The article addresses the issue of Jewish religious construction, one of the aspects of ethnoconfessional geography of the city of Tobolsk. This is the first attempt of such study. With the disappearance of the Jewish community from the city, all memory of the once large and fairly active Jewish diaspora has disappeared without a trace: the issue of Jewish presence in the urban space of pre-revolutionary Tobolsk is absent in academic, museum, and public discourses. The purpose of the article is to fill this gap and to present an analysis of the peculiarities of Jewish religious construction in Tobolsk in the 19th century on the basis of sources from the State Archives in Tobolsk (a branch of the State Archives of the Tyumen Region), which are thus being introduced into scientific use. In the course of her research, the author analyzes main sources of information on the Jewish religious construction in Tobolsk which have been used in the research literature and supplements them with sources from the Tobolsk archives: plans of the city of Tobolsk, memorial books, geographical descriptions of the city, census materials of 1897, photographic images, etc. The author identifies the location of the first and the second city synagogues, determines their role in the functioning of the local Jewish community and its interactions with the city and gubernia administration. The author is able to reconstruct the chronology of the Tobolsk Jewish prayer houses construction (most complete up to date); to determine the role of the houses of worship in the community life of the Tobolsk Jews; to find several previously unknown images of the Tobolsk synagogue; and thus to fill the existing gap in the knowledge of ethnoconfessional life of national minorities of Western Siberia. The article introduces hitherto unpublished images: a panoramic photo of the foothill part of Tobolsk, where a wooden building of the first synagogue can be seen, a photo of its interior, and a plan of the third (unbuilt) synagogue.

Keywords

Archive, sources, Jews, Judaism, Western Siberia, Tobolsk, religious construction, synagogue, architecture.

Download the article: gerasimova_doi

References

ANTROPOVA, I. E. K istorii formirovaniya evreiskikh obshchin Tobol'skoi gubernii i g. Tyumeni (XVII v. – 1837 g.) [Revisiting the history of formation of Jewish communities of the Tobolsk gubernia and Tyumen (17th century - 1837). In Russ.]. IN: “Priezd i vodvorenie v Sibir' evreyam vospreshhaetsya” [“Coming and settling in Siberia is barred to the Jews.” In Russ.]. Tyumen, Tyumenskii kur’er publ., 2004, pp. 28-43 pp. 28 – 43.

GOLODNIKOV, K. M. Gorod Tobol'sk i ego okrestnosti [The city of Tobolsk and its environments. In Russ.]. Tobolsk, 1887, 140 p.

GONCHAROV, Yu. M. Evreiskie obshchiny Zapadnoi Sibiri (XIX – nachalo XX vv.) [Jewish communities of Western Siberia (19th - early 20th century). In Russ.]. Barnaul, Azbuka publ., 2013, 174 p.

KIZHNER, D. M. Istoriya vozniknoveniya sinagog v Tomske [The history of synagogues in Tomsk. In Russ.] IN: Evrei v Sibiri [Jews in Siberia. In Russ.]. Tomsk, TGU publ., 2000, pp. 3 – 9.

KLYUEVA, V.P. Evrei v Zapadnoi Sibiri: politika gosudarstva i problemy adaptatsii v sibirskom obshchestve (XVII – nachalo XX v.) [Jews in Western Siberia: State policy and problems of adaptation in the Siberian society (17th - early 20th century). In Russ.]. IN: “Priezd i vodvorenie v Sibir' evreyam vospreshhaetsya” [“Coming and settling in Siberia is barred to the Jews.” In Russ.]. Tyumen, Tyumenskii kur’er publ., 2004, pp. 38 – 60.

KLYUEVA, V. P. Religioznaya zhizn' evreev v Tobol'skoi gubernii (seredina XIX – nachalo XX v.): skandaly i problemy [Religious life of the Jews in the Tobolsk gubernia (mid-19th - early 20th century.): Scandals and problems. In Russ.]. IN: Evrei v Sibiri i na Dal'nem Vostoke: istoriya i sovremennost' [The Jews in Siberia and the Far East: History and contemporaneity. In Russ.]. Krasnoyarsk, Barnaul, Krasnoyarskii rabochii, 2005, pp. 42–48.

OSTROVSKII, Yu. Sibirskie evrei [The Siberian Jews. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, 1911, 62 p.

SOLODOVA, T. I. Dokumental'nye svidetel'stva o zhizni evreev v Zapadnoi Sibiri kontsa XIX – nachala XX vv. [Documentary evidence of the Jews’ life in Western Siberia in late 19th - early 20th century. In Russ.]. IN: Evrei v sotsiokul'turnom prostranstve Tyumeni i regiona: k 100-letiyu gorodskoi sinagogi [Jews in sociocultural space of Tyumen and its region: 100th anniversary of the city synagogue. In Russ.]. Tyumen, TyumGU publ., 2013, pp. 70 – 80.

LEVIN, V. The Legal History of Synagogues in Volhynia. IN: Synagogues in Ukraine: Volhynia. Vol. I. Jerusalem, 2017, p. 21–57.

About author

Gerasimova Victoria Alexandrovna, PhD in History, F.M. Dostoevsky Omsk State University, research fellow, Omsk, Russian Federation, +7-381-264-27-00, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Grant information

The article has been prepared with financial support from of the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 17-78-10172 “Jews of Western Siberia in the system of interethnic relations: History and contemporaneity”).

Submitted 22.05.2018, published (for сitation):

GERASIMOVA, V. A. Iudeiskoe kul'tovoe stroitel'stvo Tobol'ska v XIX v.: opyt istochnikovedcheskogo issledovaniya [The Jewish Houses of Worship in Tobolsk in the 19th Century: A Source Study. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2019, no. 3, pp. 909-922. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2019-3-909-922

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.