J. V. Stalin's Article “Dizzy with Success” in the Assessment of the Kolkhozes Construction Activists

Print PDF

УДК 94 (47).084.5 + 929.2

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-540-553

Michail V. Bryantsev

Academician I. G. Petrovsky Bryansk State University, Bryansk, Russian Federation

J. V. Stalin's Article “Dizzy with Success” in the Assessment of the Kolkhozes Construction Activists

Abstract

The process of collectivization in the USSR, launched by the Bolsheviks in the late 1920s, revealed another round of confrontation between the authorities and the peasantry. Although situation reports described general outrage, the leadership of the USSR insisted on its chosen course. However, by early 1930, the intensity of anti-kolkhoz struggle became threatening. Under these conditions, Stalin's article “Dizzy with Success” appeared; it had great resonance in the Soviet society. Trying to justify the course of the Central Committee on complete collectivization and dekulakization, Stalin transferred all responsibility to “overzealous” grass-roots workers, the kolkhoz movement activists, which was met with their incomprehension and resentment. The immediate agents of collectivization could not give credence to measures outlined in the article and perceived it as the collapse of collective farm construction. They were even more outraged by the accusation of bungling. Some communists regarded Stalin’s article as counter-revolutionary and corrupting the ranks of the party. Many blamed not only the central authorities, but Stalin personally, accusing him of sliding to the position of the “right” and even of departure from Bolshevism. Learned by experience, they were in no hurry to correct the “excesses of overzealous bureaucracy” in collective farm construction. Sometimes, taking all measures to prevent peasants from knowing the content of the article, they continued to force peasants to join the kolkhozes. The ambivalence of the central leadership position and, above all, that of Stalin was obvious. Opponents of collectivization attributed Stalin’s statements to the Soviet authorities surrendering their position and to the forthcoming end of the Soviet power. A common place for all was expectation of imminent war, which would allow them to deal with the Communists and free themselves from their dominance. They used Stalin’s article as a shield, when opposing local authorities, who still insisted on collectivization and dekulakization.

Keywords

Power, peasantry, collectivization, kolkhozes, “excesses”, confrontation, USSR, J. V. Stalin.

Download the article: bryantsev_doi

References

IVNITSKII, N. A. Vvedenie (Razvertyvanie “sploshnoi kollektivizatsii”) [Introduction (Deployment of “complete collectivization”). In Russ.]. IN: Tragediya sovetskoi derevni. Kollektivizatsiya i raskulachivanie. 1927—1939. Dokumenty i materialy [DANILOV, V., MANNING R., VIOLA, L. The tragedy of the Soviet village: Collectivization and dekulakization: 1927-1939: Documents and materials. In Russ.]. In 5 vol. Vol. 2: November 1929-December 1930. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2000, pp.7-29.

Ryazanskaya derevnya v 1929-1930 gg.: Khronika golovokruzheniya. Dokumenty i materialy. [VIOLA, L., ZHURAVLEV, S. V. et al. (eds.-comps.). The Ryazan village in 1929-1930: Chronicle of vertigo. Documents and materials. In Russ.]. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 1998, 749 p.

“Sovershenno sekretno”: Lubyanka – Stalinu o polozhenii v strane (1922-1934 g.) ["Top secret": Lubyanka – to Stalin about situation in the country (1922-1934). In Russ]. Vol.8. Part 1: 1930. Moscow, IRI RAN publ., 2008, 863 p.

Sovetskaya derevnya glazami VChK—OGPU—NKVD. 1918—1939. Dokumenty i materialy. V 4-kh t. [BERELOVICH, A. DANILOV, V. (eds.). Soviet village through the eyes of the Cheka-OGPU-NKVD: 1918-1939: Documents and materials. In 4 vols. In Russ.]. Vol. 3: 1930-1934 gg. Book 1: 1930-1931, Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2003, 864p.

STALIN, J. V. Golovokruzhenie ot uspekhov. K voprosam kolkhoznogo dvizheniya [Dizzy with Success: Concerning Questions of the Collective-Farm Movement]. IN: STALIN, J. V. Sochineniya [Works]. Vol. 12. Moscow, Gosudarstvennoe izd-vo polit. literatury publ., 1949, pp. 191-199.

TEPTSOV, N. V. V dni velikogo pereloma. Istoriya kollektivizatsii, raskulachivaniya i krest'yanskoi ssylki v Rossii (SSSR) v pis'makh i vospominaniyakh: 1929—1933 gg. [In the days of the Great Turn: History of collectivization, dekulakization and peasant exile in Russia (the USSR) in letters and memoirs: 1929-1933. In Russ.]. Moscow, Zvonnitsa publ., 2002, 416 p.

Tragediya sovetskoi derevni. Kollektivizatsiya i raskulachivanie. 1927—1939. Dokumenty i materialy [DANILOV, V., MANNING R., VIOLA, L. The tragedy of the Soviet village: Collectivization and dekulakization: 1927-1939: Documents and materials. In Russ.]. In 5 vol. Vol. 2: November 1929-December 1930. Moscow, ROSSPEN publ., 2000, 927 p.

FITZPATRICK, Sheila. Stalin's Peasants: Resistance and Survival in the Russian Village after Collectivization. Oxford University Press, 1994. (Russ. ed.: FITSPATRIK, SH. Stalinskie krest'yane. Sotsial'naya istoriya Sovetskoi Rossii v 30-e gody: derevnya. Moscow, ROSSPEN , 2008, 422 p.)

About author

Bryantsev Mikhail Васильевич, PhD in History, professor, Academician I. G. Petrovsky, department of theory and history of state and law, head of the department, Bryansk, Russian Federation, +7-920-854-29-05, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 19.06.2019, published (for citation):

BRYANTSEV, M. V. Stat'ya I. V. Stalina «Golovokruzhenie ot uspekhov» v otsenke aktivistov kolkhoznogo stroitel'stva [J. V. Stalin's Article “Dizzy with Success” in the Assessment of the Kolkhozes Construction Activists. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2020, no. 2, pp. 540-553. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-540-553

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.