Typological Description of the Tibetan Medicine Dictionaries by Mongolian and Buryat Authors from the Tibetan Fonds of the COMX of the IMBTS SB RAS and the IOM RAS

Print PDF

УДК 94(5) (515) (517)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-3-651-663

Yumzhana Zh. Zhabon,Darima V. Dashibalova

Institute for Mongolian, Buddhist, and Tibetan Studies, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Ulan-Ude, Russian Federation

Typological Description of the Tibetan Medicine Dictionaries by Mongolian and Buryat Authors from the Tibetan Fonds of the COMX of the IMBTS SB RAS and the IOM RAS

Abstract

The paper offers an analysis and a classification of lexicographic works on Tibetan medicine compiled by Mongolian and Buryat authors in the 18-20th centuries. The analysis of main topics of these works and of their terminology allow us to distinguish three types of dictionaries: (1) specialized mngon brjod dictionaries of synonyms of Tibetan materia medica compiled for their correct identification; (2) bilingual and monolingual bsdus ming glossaries that contain explanations of words and concepts of the rgyud bzhi and commentaries; and (3) general and terminological brda yig dictionaries with medical lexicons. Particular attention is paid to distinctive features of these dictionaries. The study reveals that words in all thesauruses compiled by Mongolian authors and in the terminological dictionary dag yig mkhas pa’i ‘byung gnas (18th century) are arranged by thematic groups. The words in all bsdus ming glossaries are limited to the lexis used in one particular treatise and arranged in order in which they occur in the text. All lexicographical works compiled by Buryat authors (dictionaries of Tuguldurov, Sumatiratna, and Choidak) were organized according to Tibetan alphabetical order. In the rgyud bzhi bsdus ming and in the dictionary of Ishdorji all Mongolian equivalents are given in Tibetan letters. The study shows that dividing dictionaries of Mongolian authors in three groups (in accordance with their topic, basic terms, basic principles of compiling dictionaries of a certain genre) allows us to trace the continuity of the Indo-Tibetan lexicographic tradition in Mongolia and Buryatia, and also to demonstrate significant contribution of the Buryat scientists to the development of Tibet lexicography (concerning alphabetical principle of dictionaries compilation).

Keywords

Historical sources, medical lexicography, Tibetan-Mongolian lexicography, dictionaries, dictionary typology, Tibetan medicine.

Download the article: zhabon_dashibalova_doi

References

DAMDINSUREN, Ts. Buryatskii pereskaz Ramayany [Buryat retelling of the Ramayana. In Russ.]. IN: Issledovaniya po vostochnoi filologii [Studies in Oriental Philology. In Russ.]. Moscow, Nauka, GRVL publ., 1974, pp. 64-88.

PARFIONOVICH, Yu. M. Tibetskii pis'mennyi yazyk [Tibetan written language.In Russ.]. Moscow, Nauka publ., 1970, 184 p.

PUBAEV, R. E., DANDARON, B. D. Istochnik mudretsov. Tibetsko-mongol'skii terminologicheskii slovar' buddizma [Source for wise men: Tibetan-Mongolian terminological dictionary of Buddhism. In Russ.]. Ulan-Ude, Buryat book publ., 1968, 168 p.

Dge bshes chos grags. brda dag ming tshig gsal ba. Beijing: Nationalities Publishing House, 1957, 782 p.

Sumatiratna. Bod hor kyi brda yig ming tshig don gsum gsal bar byed pa mun sel skron me / T?bed mong?ol-un dokiyan-u bi?ig ner-e ?ge udqa ?urban-I todura?ulun qarang?ui-yi aril?a??i ?ula. Ulaanbaatar: Ulsyn khevleliin gazar, 1959, Corpus Scriptorum Mongolorum. Tomus VI, 1241 p. Tomus VII, 1390 p.

Ye shes rdo rje. Bod skad kyi brda gsar rnying dka’ ba sog skad du ka li sum cu’i rim pas gtan la pheb pa’I brda yig mkhas pa rgya mtsho blo gsal mgul rgyan ces bya ba bzhugs so. Ulaanbaatar: Ulsyn khevleli?n gazar, 1959, Corpus Scriptorum Mongolorum. Tomus IV, 935 p.

About the authors

Zhabon Yumzhana Zhalsanovna, PhD in History, Institute for Mongolian, Buddhistm and Tibetan Studies of the Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Center of Oriental Manuscripts and Xylographs, senior researcher, Ulan-Ude, Russian Federation, +7-950-380-17-51, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Dashibalova Darima Vladimirovna, PhD in Philology, Institute for Mongolian, Buddhist, and Tibetan Studies of the Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Center of Oriental Manuscripts and Xylographs, senior researcher, Ulan-Ude, Russian Federation, +7-902-565-94-00, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 12.04.2019, published (forcitation):

ZHABON, Yu. ZH., DASHIBALOVA, D. V. Tipologicheskoe opisanie meditsinskikh slovarei mongoloyazychnykh avtorov iz tibetskikh fondov TsVRK IMBT SO RAN i IVR RAN [Typological Description of the Tibetan Medicine Dictionaries by Mongolian and Buryat Authors from the Tibetan Fonds of the COMX of the IMBTS SB RAS and the IOM RAS. InRuss.]. IN: Vestnikarhivista / HeraldofanArchivist, 2020, no. 3, pp. 651-663. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-3-651-663

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.