Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 94(470.61)«1918»+94(470)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-1-141-155

Olga M. Morozova

Don State Technical University, Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation

1918: “Zero” German Armed Intervention of the Russian Don

Abstract

The internal situation in the Don region in 1918, during the intervention of armed units of the Austrian and German armies, has been overshadowed in the scholarship by two key phenomena: fates of the Volunteer Movement and formation of the quasi-state, All-Great Don Host. It is important to reconstruct the events that took place in the Don towns and villages in May–November 1918. Historical sources are scattered throughout archives and libraries. The author has used fonds of the State Archive of the Russian Federation, the State Archive of the Rostov Region, and the Center for Documentation on the Contemporary History of the Rostov Region. Austrian and German units that appeared on the borders of the Don region in early May 1918 engaged in combat only with the Red Army detachments. Cossacks and foreign troops fought together from the very beginning. In future, the German administration strove to organize uninterrupted supplies of industrial raw materials and products, food and fodder from the Don territory. In order to do this, the Germans occupied key control points and transport communications in the Western part of the region. A double government was introduced in the villages: alongside atamans there appeared German commandants. Re-election of Ataman P. N. Krasnov in August 1918 was ensured by the Germans; his most influential opponents were neutralized; censorship for the press was introduced. The Germans held a neutral position towards Russian officers and the Volunteer Army. The experience of intervention in the South of Russia influenced the fate of Germany, as German soldiers received a practical lesson in revolutionary action. Presence of the Central Powers’ troops in Russia forced the Entente countries to intervene more actively in the affairs of their former ally. Germany assumed that successful results of the armistice on the Eastern Front could be replicated on the Western Front.

Keywords

Historical sources, 1918 in Russia, Don region, German and Austrian armies on the Don, Don government, intervention regime of the armies of the Central Powers (Quadruple Alliance).

Download the article: morozova_doi

References

VENKOV, A. V. Ataman Krasnov i Donskaya armiya, 1918 god. [Ataman Krasnov and the Don Army. In Russ.]. Moscow, Veche publ., 2008, 496 p.

JOHNSON, P. Sovremennost'. Mir s dvadtsatykh po devyanostye gody [Modernity. The world from the 20s to the 90s. In Russ.]. In 2 volumes. Vol. 1. Moscow, Anubis, VILAD publ., 1995, 527 p.

ZIMINA, V. D. Krakh germanofil'skoi monarkhicheskoi kontrrevolyutsii na yuge Rossii v gody Grazhdanskoi voiny i interventsii: uch. pos. [The collapse of the Germanophilic monarchist counter-revolution in the South of Russia in the days of the Civil War and Allied Intervention: A study duide. In Russ.]. Kalinin, KGU publ., 1989, 87 p.

KAKURIN, N. E., VATSETIS, I. I. Grazhdanskaya voina 1918-1921. [Civil War: 1918–21. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Poligon publ., 2002, 672 p.

LUDENDORFF, E. Moi vospominaniya o voine 1914-1918 gg. [SVECHIN, A. (ed.). My memories of the war 1914–18]. In 2 volumes. Vol. 2. Petrograd, Voennaya tipografiya shtaba RKKA publ., 1924, 316 p.

PUCHENKOV, A. S. Vzaimootnosheniya generaliteta Dobrovol'cheskoi armii i Vsevelikogo Voiska Donskogo v period Grazhdanskoi voiny [The relationship between the generals of the Volunteer Army and the All-Great Don Host during the Civil War. In Russ.]. IN: Rossiiskaya istoriya, 2013, no. 5, pp. 27–42.

SUKHORUKOV, V. T. XI armiya v boyakh na Severnom Kavkaze i Nizhnei Volge v 1918-1920 gg. [The XI army in battles in the North Caucasus and the Lower Volga in 1918–20. In Russ.]. Moscow, Voenizdat publ., 1961, 288 p.

TRUSOVA, N. Nemetskie interventy v Donskoi oblasti v 1918 godu [German interventionists in the Don region in 1918. In Russ.]. IN: Istoricheskii zhurnal, 1941, no. 9, pp. 56–63.

KHMELEVSKII, K. A. Krakh krasnovshchiny i nemetskoi interventsii na Donu (aprel' 1918 – mart 1919 gg.) [Collapse of Krasnov’s regime and the German intervention on the Don (April 1918 – March 1919). In Russ.]. Rostov-on-Don, RGU publ., 1965, 226 p.

DORNIK, W. Occupation during and after the War (Russian Empire). IN: 1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War, ed. by U. Daniel, et al. Berlin, 2014-10-08. DOI: 10.15463/ie1418.10121. Available at: https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/occupation_during_and_after_the_war_russian_empire (accessed 07.18.2020).

KOELGES M. Die Haltung der SPD zur deutschen Ostpolitik vom Oktober 1917 bis zum Oktober 1918. Hausarbeitzur Erlangung des Akademischen Gradeseines Magister Artium. Johannes-Gutenberg-Universit?t zu Mainz, 1987, 89 s.

REYNOLDS, M. A. Shattering Empires. The Clash and Collapse of the Ottoman and Russian Empires, 1908-1918. Cambridge–New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011, 303 p.

Grant information

Russian Foundation for basic research (RFBR) 19-09-00115 "The Socio-political dialogue in post-February and post-October Russia (1917-1918): the trends, the mechanism and the regional features".

About the authors

Morozova Olga Mikhailovna, PhD in History, associate professor, Don State Technical University, faculty of media communications и multimedia technology, department of public relations, professor, Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation, +7-928-154-02-94, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 20.01.2020, published (for citation):

MOROZOVA, O. M. 1918 god: “nulevaya” germanskaya okkupatsiya rossiiskogo Dona [1918: “Zero” German Armed Intervention of the Russian Don. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2021, no. 1, pp. 141-155. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2021-1-141-155

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.