Revisiting the Creation of Colonel D. A. Vyrubov’s Album from the Fonds of the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Its Real Author

Print PDF

Scientific article

УДК 930.253+94(470.6)+94(470)

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-1-36-53

Druzhinina, Inga A.

Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation

Revisiting the Creation of Colonel D. A. Vyrubov’s Album from the Fonds of the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Its Real Author

Abstract

The article for the first time raises the question of authorship of one of the key sources on archaeology and ethnography of the peoples of the North Caucasus, first and foremost the Balkars, Kabardins, Karachais, and Abazins — an album with watercolour drawings of fortresses, churches, funerary monuments, elements of costume of mountain peoples, etc. stored in the fonds of the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera). This source is known in historiography under the name of its first owner, D.A. Vyrubov, head of the Nalchik district of the Terek region. The article argues that the author of the album was Ivan A. Vladimirov (1869-1947), Russian and later Soviet artist, archaeologist, and military correspondent. Handwriting experts' examination of handwritten notes in the album and I.A. Vladimirov’s reports on archaeological investigations conducted in the Nalchik district confirms this; chronology and geography of the album coincides with I.A. Vladimirov's travels to the Caucasus. There is interconnected and complementary information on a number of archaeological and ancient architectural monuments, as well as on people who supported Vladimirov in his field research — Dimitri Alekseyevich Vyrubov, the chief of the Nalchik district, and Dadashe Dohshukovich Balkarokov, a Chegem taubian. It is shown that the period from 1892 to 1898, that is, from I.A. Vladimirov’s first appearance in the Nalchik district to Colonel D.A. Vyrubov’s transfer to Vladikavkaz, is the most probable time of the album’s creation. Establishing the identity of the artist who created the album has significantly broadened the information capacity of the source itself, as it now can be considered in conjunction with I. A. Vladimirov's scientific accounts of his archaeological work. This, in turn, facilitates identification of a number of objects, including ancient half-destroyed Christian church near Bylym village. In addition, comparative study of the sources has yielded new information on the monuments. Thus, the album contains drawings and measurements of mausoleums and crypts near the village of Gundelen, church on the Kisanty river, mausoleums and tombs in the same area, while I.A. Vladimirov’s report contains photos of these objects, their site layout plan and drawings. Some previously unknown facts from the history of the first archaeological expedition conducted by I.A. Vladimirov in 1896 have also been revealed.

Keywords

Historical source, Colonel Vyrubov's album, Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences, I. A. Vladimirov, archaeology, ethnography, Caucasian studies.

Download the article: druzhinina_doi

References

ABAEVA, M. Sh. Problemy stroitel'stva kolesnoi dorogi v Chegemskoe obshchestvo vo vtoroi polovine XIX veka [Problems of wheel road construction to Chegem in the second half of the 19th century. In Russ.] IN: Izvestiya SOIGSI, 2020, no. 23, pp. 21–30.

BATOREVICH, N. I. Vsyu zhizn' ya sluzhil Rossii…: Zhizn' i tvorchestvo khudozhnika I. A. Vladimirova [All my life I have served Russia ...: The life and work of the artist I. A. Vladimirov. In Russ.]. St. Peterburg, Dmitrii Bulanin publ., 2013, 368 p.

BATCHAEV, V. M. Balkariya v XV – nachale XIX vv. [Balkaria in the 15th - early 19th centuries. In Russ.]. Moscow, TAS-IZDAT publ., 2006, 239 p.

BITTIROVA, T. Sh. Basiyat Shakhanov. Zhizn' i tvorchestvo (Issledovanie, teksty) [Basiyat Shakhanov. Life and Creativity (Research, Texts). In Russ.] Nalchik, Pechatnyi dvor publ., 2018, 336 p.

DRUZHININA, I. A., CHKHAIDZE, V. N. Arkheologiya kak iskusstvo: k 150-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya I.A. Vladimirova [Archaeology as Art: To the 150th Anniversary of I. A. Vladimirov. In Russ.]. IN: Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury, 2019, no. 3 (65), pp. 267–276.

LAVROV, L. I. Ob arabskikh nadpisyakh Kabardino-Balkarii [On the Arabic inscriptions of Kabardino-Balkaria. In Russ.] IN: Uchenye zapiski Kabardino-Balkarskogo nauchno-issledovatel'skogo instituta [Proceedings of the Kabardino-Balkarian Research Institute. In Russ.]. Nalchik, 1960, vol. XVII, pp. 97–121.

LAVROV, L. I. Karachai i Balkariya do 30kh godov XIX veka [Karachay and Balkaria until the 1830s. In Russ.]. IN: Kavkazskii etnograficheskii sbornik [Caucasian Ethnographic Collection. In Russ.]. Moscow, Nauka publ., 1969, vol. 4, pp. 55-119.

LAVROV L. I. Al'bom i makety D. A. Vyrubova po etnografii i arkheologii Kabardino-Balkarii [D. A. Vyrubov’s album and models on ethnography and archeology of Kabardino-Balkaria. In Russ.] IN: Material'naya kul'tura i khozyaistvo narodov Kavkaza, Srednei Azii i Kazakhstana [Material culture and economy of the peoples of the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Kazakhstan. In Russ.]. Leningrad, 1978, pp. 71–84.

SHUMKIN, A. V. Tyurki Tsentral'nogo Kavkaza v XVI–XVIII vekakh [Turks of the Central Caucasus in the 16th-18th centuries. In Russ.]. Chelyabinsk, ChGIK publ., 2019, 163 p.

About the authors

Druzhinina Inga Alexandrovna, PhD in History, Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Centre for Byzantine-Caucasian Studies, senior researcher, Moscow, Russian Federation, +7-495-625-42-62, +7-903-537-14-62, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 16.09.2021, published (for citation):

DRUZHININA, I. A. K istorii sozdaniya al'boma polkovnika D. A. Vyrubova iz fondov Muzeya antropologii i etnografii im. Petra Velikogo (Kunstkamery) RAN i ego podlinnom avtore [Revisiting the Creation of Colonel D. A. Vyrubov's Album from the Fonds of the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Its Real Author. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2022, no. 1, pp. 36-53. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-1-36-53

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.