A Publication on the Role of the Clerical Establishment in the Ruin of the Monarchy in Russia

Print PDF

Review

УДК 94(47)+049.32

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-3-941-949

Baghdasaryan, Vardan E.

Moscow State Regional University, Moscow, Russian Federation

Resnyansky, Sergey I.

Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia, Moscow, Russian Federation

A Publication on the Role of the Clerical Establishment in the Ruin of the Monarchy in Russia

Abstract

Russian historians consider in this review the 2nd revised and enlarged edition professor Mikhail Anatolyevich Babkin’s monograph “Priesthood and Kingdom (Russia, early XX century - 1918). Research and materials.” Babkin's research relates to field of history, theology, and church law, and the authors of the review see an innovative approach in this. The said monograph opens new horizons for comprehending Russian historical transformation in 1917. It considers historical processes from the point of view of problem of “priesthood and kingdom.” The authors note significance of this problem for the history of Russia not only in the 17th century, but also in the period of revolutions in early 20th century. Considering revolutionary processes from this angle is justified and expedient. Babkin’s monograph contains research and also published documents and extended reference apparatus.The authors conclude that Babkin’s work does not close issue, although it makes the discussion of reasons for destruction of pre-revolutionary state-church relations model relevant today. They state that the author of the monograph does not hide his monarchist sympathies and considers clerical establishment of the Russian Orthodox Church one of the guilty parties in the overthrow of the monarchy. In the pre-revolutionary years, the clergy worked, in essence, for the revolution. The clergy, that was meant to sacralize imperial power, became a leading actor in its desacralization.

Keywords

History of Russia, revolution of 1917, Orthodox Russian Church, issue of “priesthood and kingdom.”

Download the article: baghdasaryan_resnyansky_doi

References

ANDREEVA, L. A. Sverzhenie monarkhii v 1917 godu: krushenie Trona i Altarya [The overthrow of the monarchy in 1917: The collapse of the Throne and the Altar. In Russ.]. IN: Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost', 2009, no. 3, pp. 90–99.

BABKIN, M. A. Sovremennaya rossiiskaya istoriografiya vzaimootnoshenii Russkoi pravoslavnoi tserkvi i gosudarstva v nachale XX veka (dosovetskii period) [Modern Russian historiography of the relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and the state in early 20th century (pre-Soviet period). In Russ.]. IN: Otechestvennaya istoriya, 2006, no. 6, pp. 171–180.

VELICHKO, A. M. Tsarstvo i svyashchenstvo [Kingdom and priesthood.]. Moscow, Veche publ., 2020, 640 p.

KAIL, M. V. Pravoslavie v Rossii 1914 – 1964 godov: Opyt izucheniya i obshchestvennaya pamyat' v diskurse repressii i poiske al'ternativnykh poznavatel'nykh podkhodov [Orthodoxy in Russia, 1914 – 64: An Attempt at Studying and Public Memory in the Discourse of Repression and the Search for Alternative Cognitive Approaches. In Russ.]. IN: Novyi istoricheskii vestnik, 2021, no. 3 (69), pp. 74–86.

SENIN, A. S. Vospominaniya E. B. Voinovskogo-Krigera kak istochnik znanii o rossiiskoi gosudarstvennosti [Memoirs of E.B. Voinovsky-Krieger as a source of knowledge on the Russian statehood. In Russ.]. IN: Istoriya i arkhivy, no. 2, pp. 30–58, doi 10.28995/2658-6541-2022-2-30-58.

About the authors

Bagdasaryan Vardan Ernestovich, PhD in History, professor, Moscow State Regional University, faculty of history, political science and law, dean, department of history of Russia in the middle ages and modern times, head of the department, Moscow, Russian Federation, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Resnyansky Sergey Ivanovich, PhD in History, professor, Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia, department of Russian history, professor, Moscow State Regional University, department of the history of Russia in the middle ages and modern times, head of the department, Moscow, Russian Federation, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 26.01.2022, published (for citation):

BAGDASARYAN, V. E., RESNYANSKY, S. I. Izdanie o roli vysshego dukhovenstva v gibeli monarkhicheskogo stroya v Rossii [A Publication on the Role of the Clerical Establishment in the Ruin of the Monarchy in Russia. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2022, no. 3, pp. 941-949. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2022-3-941-949

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.