Study of Cultural and Recreational Space and Practices of the Volga Region Citizens during the First World War: Resources of Regional Periodicals

Print PDF

УДК 94(47)084.3

DOI 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-516-528

E. Yu. Semenova

Samara State Technical University, Samara, Russian Federation

Study of Cultural and Recreational Space and Practices of the Volga Region Citizens during the First World War: Resources of Regional Periodicals

Abstract

The article analyzes the newspaper materials published in the Volga region during the First World War as a source for studying culture and leisure. Emphasis is placed on the use of publications that were not official. It is noted that newspapers were the main type of regional periodicals. With their diversity, it has been revealed that publications on the topic were in promotional content (announcements of the institutions activities, their programs); in special columns on the topic bearing characteristic titles (“Sport,” “Theater and music”); in op-ed and critical articles, which were placed in the local chronicle (reports or reviews of events with their description, including the authors’ personal views); as photo with caption (an announcement of the upcoming event). Depending on publication, the structure and arrangement of materials varied. It is noted that periodicals are available in several databases, including digital ones, and can be used by researchers as a source for comprehensive and systematic study of the topic. According to materials of regional periodicals, during the First World War there was a wide range of leisure and cultural programs in the towns of the Volga region. They were typical for uezd and gubernia centers, but the number of leisure facilities (theaters, cinemas, restaurants, park areas) was larger in the gubernia cities. It is revealed that leisure of citizens included active forms of participation (organization) and passive ones (visits). It is proved that materials of regional periodicals can be used in reconstructing and analyzing the cultural and recreational space of the towns. Reconstruction is possible on the basis of the enumeration of data on cultural institutions and places of leisure. The analysis is based on studying the content of programs, composition of visitors, organizers, prices.

Keywords

Historical sources, culture, leisure, World War I, Volga region, city, periodicals.

Download the article: semenova_doi

References

GULARYAN, A. B. Organizatsiya dosuga v rossiiskom dorevolyutsionnom provintsial'nom obshchestve po arkhivnym dokumentam i materialam v kontse XIX – nachale XX v. [Organization of leisure in the Russian pre-revolutionary provincial society on archival documents and materials in the late 19th – early 20th century. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2019, no 1, pp. 270–281.

ZAKHAROV, A. V. Problemy istochnikovedeniya Pervoi mirovoi voiny: regional'nyi aspekt [Problems of source studies of the First World War: The regional aspect. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2014, no 3, pp. 52–65.

KAZAKOVA-APKARIMOVA, E. Yu. Formy gorodskogo dosuga na Urale v nachale XX v.: traditsionalizm i modernost' [Forms of urban leisure in the Urals in the early 20th century: Traditionalism and modernity. In Russ.]. IN: Chastnoe i obshchestvennoe v povsednevnoi zhizni naseleniya Rossii: istoriya i sovremennost'. Materialy mezhdunar. nauch. konf.: v 2 t. [Private and public in daily life of the Russian population: History and contemporaneity: Proceedings of the International scientific conference. In 2 vol. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, LGU im. A.S. Pushkina publ., 2018, vol. 1, pp. 365–369.

KUPTSOVA, I. V. Karnaval'naya model' massovoi kul'tury kak simvol revolyutsii 1917 g. [The carnival model of mass culture as a symbol of the revolution of 1917. In Russ.]. IN: Revolyutsiya 1917 goda v Rossii: sobytiya i kontseptsii, posledstviya i pamyat'. Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [CHISTIKOV, A. N., KULEGIN, A. M. (eds.) The 1917 revolution in Russia: Events and concepts, consequences and memory. Materials of the International Research-to-Practice Conference. In Russ.]. St. Petersburg, Dmitrii Bulanin publ., 2017, pp. 399–406.

SEMENOVA, E. Yu. Vidy i formy dosuga gorozhan Povolzh'ya v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny [The types and forms of leisure of citizens of the Volga region in the days of the First World War. In Russ.]. IN: Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk [Bulletin of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2013, vol. 15, no 1, pp. 65–66.

SHUVALOVA, Yu. B. Dosugovoe chtenie v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny: spetsifika i soderzhanie (po materialam Permskoi gubernii) [Leisure reading during the First World War: Specificity and content (based on materials of the Perm gubernia). In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Seriya: Istoriya [Bulletin of the Perm State University], 1917, Issue 4 (39), p. 30.

About author

Semenova Ekaterina Yurievna, PhD in History, associate professor, Samara State Technical University, department of sociology, political science and history of the fatherland, head of department, Samara, Russian Federation, +7-846-279-03-66, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Submitted 10.04.2019, published (for citation):

SEMENOVA, E. Yu. Issledovanie kul'turno-dosugovogo prostranstva i kul'turno-dosugovykh praktik gorozhan Povolzh'ya v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny: vozmozhnosti regional'noi periodiki [Study of Cultural and Recreational Space and Practices of the Volga Region Citizens during the First World War: Resources of Regional Periodicals. In Russ.]. IN: Vestnik arhivista / Herald of an Archivist, 2020, no. 2, pp. 516-528. doi 10.28995/2073-0101-2020-2-516-528

You can read completely article in the russian historic-archival magazine “The Herald of an Archivist”. Read more about terms of subscription here.

Полностью материал публикуется в российском историко-архивоведческом журнале ВЕСТНИК АРХИВИСТА. Ознакомьтесь с условиями подписки здесь.